Dickleburgh (All Saints)
DICKLEBURGH (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Depwade, hundred of Diss, E. division of Norfolk, 2 miles (N. N. E.) from Scole; containing, with the hamlet of Langmere, 856 inhabitants. At the time of the Conquest, the parish comprised a large town called Semere, now an inconsiderable hamlet; and the parish was anciently divided into four portions, each of which had a rector of its own. The area is 2356a. 2r. 4p., whereof about 1623 acres are arable, 679 pasture, and 11 woodland: the village is pleasantly situated on the road to Norwich. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £28, and in the patronage of Trinity College, Cambridge: the tithes have been commuted for £725, and there is a manor belonging to the living worth £100 per annum, with 94 acres of glebe. A handsome parsonage has been built. The church is in the decorated English style, with a square embattled tower, and contains a finely sculptured font of Caen stone; the nave is lighted by a range of clerestory windows, and there are some remains of stained glass.