Deverhill, Longbridge (St. Peter and St. Paul)
DEVERHILL, LONGBRIDGE (St. Peter and St. Paul), a parish, in the union of Warminster, S. division of the hundred of Damerham, though locally in the hundred of Heytesbury, Warminster and S. divisions of Wilts, 1½ mile (S.) from Warminster; containing 1352 inhabitants. This parish derives its name from the rivulet Dever, which here takes a subterranean course; it comprises by admeasurement 4143 acres, whereof about 1550 are arable, 1260 meadow and pasture, 870 wood and plantations, and 400 down-land. The living is a vicarage, with that of Monkton-Deverhill annexed, valued in the king's books at £12; patron and impropriator, the Marquess of Bath. The great tithes have been commuted for £415, and the vicarial for £158; the glebe comprises 10 acres, with a glebe-house. A church was consecrated in April, 1843, at the hamlet of Crockerton, in the parish; it is in the Norman style of architecture, and was built under the patronage of the Marquess of Bath, whose mansion of Longleat is about four miles distant.