Desford (St. Martin)
DESFORD (St. Martin), a parish, in the union of Market-Bosworth, hundred of Sparkenhoe, S. division of the county of Leicester, 8 miles (W.) from Leicester; containing, with the hamlet of Barron's-Park, 1006 inhabitants. The parish comprises by admeasurement 2361 acres, and is crossed by the Leicester and Swannington railroad: about 100 persons are employed in the manufacture of stockings. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £8. 9. 7., and in the patronage of the Crown; net income, £193. The tithes have been commuted for land, under an inclosure act; the glebe contains about 100 acres, with a glebe-house. The Primitive Methodists and the Baptists have each a place of worship. A fund arising from the rent of 14½ acres of land purchased with a bequest by William Barnes, at the inclosure, in 1759, is appropriated to the apprenticing of children; and several small sums have been bequeathed by various persons for the relief of the poor.