Desborough (St. Giles)
DESBOROUGH (St. Giles), a parish, in the union of Kettering, hundred of Rothwell, N. division of the county of Northampton, 6 miles (N. W.) from Kettering; containing 1388 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the road from Kettering to Market-Harborough, and comprises 2374a. 2r. 38p. The village is seated on a rock of soft sandstone, of which the inferior houses are built; about 300 persons are employed in the weaving of silk-shag and worsted, and between 300 and 400 women and children in the making of lace and winding of cotton. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £8, and in the gift of Mrs. Anderson, with a net income of £149: the glebe comprises 10 acres, and a house. The church is an ancient cruciform structure, with a good tower surmounted by a spire, and contains in the chancel a monument to the ancient family of Pulton, who for fourteen generations held the lordship of the place: of this family, Ferdinando Pulton, an eminent lawyer, who compiled the statutes at large from the time of Magna Charta to the sixteenth of James the First, was born here, and lies buried in the chancel. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. Some remains of a chapel founded in the reign of John, are visible.