Dersingham (St. Nicholas)
DERSINGHAM (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of Docking, hundred of Freebridge-Lynn, W. division of Norfolk, 8½ miles (N.E. by N.) from Lynn; containing 676 inhabitants. It comprises 3472a. 2r. 20p., of which about 1750 acres are arable, 170 pasture and meadow, 460 marsh, 500 common, and 61 wood and water: the road from Lynn to Wells passes through the parish. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £5. 6. 8.; patron, John Bellamy, Esq.; appropriator, the Bishop of Norwich. The vicarial tithes were partly commuted for land in 1779, and the remainder, consisting of those on the marsh land, have been commuted under the recent act for a rentcharge of £70; the appropriate tithes have been commuted for £315, and the appropriate glebe contains about 161 acres. The church is partly in the decorated and partly in the later English style; the nave is separated from the chancel by the remains of an ancient screen. At the inclosure about 458 acres were allotted to the poor, of which 330 are common, and 128 heath, the latter for the supply of whins and turf.