Dereham, West (St. Andrew)
DEREHAM, WEST (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Downham, hundred of Clackclose, W. division of Norfolk, 3¼ miles (W. by N.) from Stoke-Ferry; containing 544 inhabitants. An abbey for Præmonstratensian canons was founded here in 1188, to the honour of the Blessed Virgin Mary, by Hubert, Dean of York, and afterwards Archbishop of Canterbury; it was valued, in the 26th of Henry VIII., at £252. 12. 11. Sir Thos. Dereham, who was envoy to the Duke of Tuscany in 1697, and to whose family the site of the abbey was granted, erected a wing on each side of the gateway, with a cloister on the south; after his family quitted the mansion, it became the seat of the earls of Mountrath. The remains of this once stately structure were removed about forty years ago. The parish comprises about 3500 acres, and is bounded on the south-east by the navigable river Wissey. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £74; patron, the Rev. George Jenyns; appropriator, the Bishop of Ely, whose tithes have been commuted for £225: the incumbent has 20 acres of glebe. The church is in the later style, and consists of a nave and chancel, with a circular tower: the chancel contains some handsome monuments to the Derehams; there are memorials to the Catton and Stebbing families; and a beautifully-sculptured white marble monument represents the Hon. Col. Edward Soame in full armour and in a standing posture. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have places of worship. Gregory Lovel, in 1693, left £500 for the poor, with which land has been purchased, producing £50 per annum.