DEPTFORD, a populous district, in the parish of Bishop-Wearmouth, union of Sunderland, N. division of Easington ward and of the county of Durham, 1 mile (W.) from Sunderland, and on the bank of the river Wear. This place largely participates in the trade and commerce of the port of Sunderland: ship-building is carried on to a great extent; a paper-mill is in operation; and there are iron-foundries and glass-works. Good limestone is also obtained in abundance, in which fossils are found. The patent ropery here, wrought by machinery propelled by a steam-engine of 35-horse power, and capable of producing within the usual hours of labour 900 tons of cordage annually, was some time ago destroyed by fire, but has been rebuilt. A district church was erected in 1840, at a cost of £2700; it is dedicated to St. Andrew, and the living is in the gift of the Rector. There are places of worship for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists.