Depden (St. Mary)
DEPDEN (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Thingoe, hundred of Risbridge, W. division of Suffolk, 8 miles (S. W.) from Bury St. Edmund's; containing 345 inhabitants. It comprises by admeasurement 1523 acres, exclusively of 73 acres of common, waste, &c. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £10. 11. 5½., and iu the patronage of the Crown: the tithes have been commuted for £455, and the glebe comprises 24 acres. The church has been repaired and embellished at the expense of the rector: the east window is fine, and contains some superior specimens of stained glass; the communion-plate is very costly, having been presented by Bishop Sparrow, who was the son of a farmer in the parish.