Denton, Nether (St. Cuthbert)
DENTON, NETHER (St. Cuthbert), a parish, in the union of Brampton, Eskdale ward, E. division of Cumberland, 5 miles (E.N. E.) from Brampton; containing 280 inhabitants. The parish is bounded on the north by the river Irthing, and comprises about six square miles; the land is all inclosed, and nearly equally divided between pasture and arable, the soil of the latter of which is light and sandy. Freestone and limestone are abundant, and there is a considerable quantity of shell-marl. The Newcastle and Carlisle railway has a station here. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £4. 5. 2.; net income, £196; patron, the Bishop of Carlisle. The tithes of Nether and Upper Denton were commuted for land in 1798. The church, though small, is handsome, and picturesquely situated; and nearly opposite to it, is the fine piece of romantic scenery called Goat Crags, on the banks of the Irthing.