DENTON, a chapelry, in the parish of Otley, Upper division of the wapentake of Claro, W. riding of York, 4 miles (N. W. by W.) from Otley; containing 185 inhabitants. This place was the baronial residence of the Fairfax family, of whom Ferdinando and Thomas were successively lords Fairfax, and distinguished leaders in the parliamentary war, and the latter, noted for his attachment to antiquarian research, was owner of the Dodsworth MSS., now in the Bodleian library at Oxford. The chapelry comprises 3660 acres, of which 2280 are inclosed and under cultivation, 1130 moor, and 250 woodland. Denton Park, the property of Sir Charles Ibbetson, Bart., lord of the manor, is a handsome mansion, built in 1760, and situated in a wellwooded park, overlooking the river Wharfe. The living is a donative; net income, £44; patron, Sir Charles Ibbetson. The chapel is an ancient structure.