Denton (St. Margaret)
DENTON (St. Margaret), a parish, in the union of Hardingstone, hundred of Wymmersley, S. division of the county of Northampton, 6¼ miles (E. S. E.) from Northampton; containing 557 inhabitants. It is intersected by the road from Bedford to Northampton, and consists of 1572 acres. The living, which may be considered a joint rectory, is divided between the rectors of Whiston and Yardley-Hastings. Denton formerly contained two chapels; that on the north, now demolished, was annexed to the rectory of Whiston, and the other to the rectory of Yardley-Hastings: since the demolition, duty has been performed at the latter chapel by the two rectors jointly; at first alternately, every other Sunday, afterwards for six months each, and now each for a year. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1738; there are two farms, one of which, containing about 70 acres, was given to the rector of Whiston, and the other, comprising about 140 acres, to the rector of Yardley-Hastings. The chapel has been enlarged.