DENTON, a chapelry, in the parish of Manchester, union of Ashton-under-Lyne, hundred of Salford, S. division of the county of Lancaster, 3¾ miles (N. E. by N.) from Stockport; containing 3440 inhabitants. It lies west of the river Tame, on the road from Stockport to Ashton-under-Lyne, and contains 1630 acres of land. The village, which is five miles distant from Manchester, probably derived its name from Dane-town, an etymology countenanced by the appellations of Danehead-bank and Daneditch-bourne, places in the neighbourhood. The manufacture of hats, both for the home trade and exportation, is carried on upon a large scale; and coal is obtained at several places within the chapelry. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Grosvenor family; net income, £135; impropriators, the Dean and Canons of Manchester. The chapel, dedicated to St. James, was erected about 1530, and has portions in the early and decorated English styles, with some fragments of stained glass in the windows. A church district, comprising part of the township of Denton, and part of that of Haughton, and called Christ-Church, was formed in April, 1846, under the act 6 and 7 Victoria, cap. 37; the population of the district is about 4000, and the living is in the gift of the Crown and the Bishop of Chester, alternately. The Wesleyans and others have places of worship.