Denton (All Saints)
DENTON (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Peterborough, hundred of Normancross, county of Huntingdon, 1¾ mile (S. W.) from Stilton; containing 97 inhabitants. This parish, which forms a narrow slip of great length, comprises about 600 acres; the soil is partly rich, and partly of inferior quality. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £5. 13. 6½.; net income, £120; patron, William Wells, Esq. The tithes were commuted for land in 1802; the glebe consists of 165 acres. The church was partly rebuilt about 1665, by Sir John Cotton. The sum of £15 per annum, from a donation by the Rev. James Drew, is paid for teaching boys and girls. Sir Robert Bruce Cotton, whose manuscripts are now in the British Museum, was born here in 1570.