Dennington (St. Mary)
DENNINGTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union and hundred of Hoxne, E. division of Suffolk, 2¾ miles (N.) from Framlingham; containing 979 inhabitants. It comprises 3262a. 1r. 32p., of which about 30 acres are wood, and the remainder arable and pasture land. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £36. 3. 4., and in the gift of the family of Alston: the tithes have been commuted for £1050, and the glebe comprises 152 acres, with an excellent glebehouse, much improved by the incumbent, the Hon. F. Hotham. The church is a spacious and handsome structure, in the decorated English style, with a lofty embattled tower crowned with pinnacles: the southern chapel contains several interesting monuments, including a splendid altar-tomb, with recumbent effigies in alabaster, of Sir William Philip, Lord Bardolph, who in 1437 founded a chantry for two priests, which at the Dissolution was valued at £26. 4. 7. There are bequests to the poor, and to the parish generally, to a very considerable amount. Several antiquities have at different times been found, comprising a brass celt, a halberd, and two spurs, with a variety of silver coins. Dean Colet, founder of St. Paul's school, London, and Dr. William Fulke, were rectors of the parish. The Earl of Stradbroke takes his title of Baron Rous, of Dennington, from the place.