Denham (St. Mary)
DENHAM (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Thingoe, hundred of Risbridge, W. division of Suffolk, 7 miles (E. by S.) from Newmarket; containing 182 inhabitants. This was anciently an extra-parochial district, the property of the Lewkenor family. Sir Edward Lewkenor built a church here, which he endowed with tithes; and the place was consequently erected into a separate parish, comprising about 1300 acres, including a large wood. Denham Hall, the seat of the family, is now a farmhouse. The living is a perpetual curacy; patron and impropriator, S. Farmer, Esq.: the great tithes have been commuted for £275, and the small for £125; the incumbent has 26 acres of glebe. There are some earthworks which have obtained the appellation of Denham Castle.