Denham (St. Mary)
DENHAM (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Eton, hundred of Burnham, county of Buckingham, 2 miles (N. N. W.) from Uxbridge; containing 1264 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the river Colne, and intersected by the Grand Junction canal, and comprises 3780 acres, of which about 500 are woodland, and 20 common or waste; of the remaining portion twothirds are arable. The soil is partly a reddish loam, and the uplands are gravelly, forming good turnip soil. At Denham Park is an institution for nervous and mental invalids of the upper classes of society, conducted on improved principles, under a committee of gentlemen; the arrangements are on a scale of superior elegance and comfort. The village is neatly built, and a fair for general articles of merchandise is held in it at Michaelmas. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £19. 9. 4½., and in the gift of Benjamin Way, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £965, and the glebe consists of 62 acres, with a glebe-house. The church is a handsome edifice, and contains several interesting monuments. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. A school is supported from a bequest by Sir William Bowyer, who in 1721 gave £30 per annum, and a house.