Denchworth (St. James)
DENCHWORTH (St. James), a parish, in the union and hundred of Wantage, county of Berks, 3 miles (N. W. by N.) from Wantage; containing 246 inhabitants. It comprises 1018a. 2r. 26p., of which about onethird is arable; the soil is a dark tenacious clay, producing rich pasture, but not favourable for grain: the surface is generally flat. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £7. 10. 10.; net income, £130; patrons and impropriators, the Provost and Fellows of Worcester College, Oxford. The tithes were commuted for land in 1801. The church contains portions of the Norman and the decorated and later English styles, and has some ancient monuments of the Hydes and Geerings.