DENBY, a chapelry, in the parish of Penistone, union of Wortley, wapentake of Staincross, W. riding of York, 7¼ miles (W. by N.) from Barnsley; comprising the townships of Denby, Gunthwaite, and Ingbirchworth; and containing 2175 inhabitants, of whom 1690 are in the township of Denby. This township is in two divisions, called Upper and Lower Denby, and is a hilly district including about 2870 acres, of which a portion is common land not in cultivation: it is chiefly occupied by weavers, and at Denby Dale are several manufactories of woollen goods. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Vicar of Penistone, with a net income of £98. The church has been rebuilt on a larger scale, 450 additional sittings having been obtained, of which 300 are free; the cost was defrayed by subscription, aided by a grant of £300 from the Ripon Diocesan Society, and one of £200 from the Incorporated Society. There are places of worship for Primitive Methodists, Wesleyans, and the Society of Friends. An eminence called Castle Hill, is supposed to have been a Roman station.