Debtling (St. Martin,)
DEBTLING (St. Martin,) a parish, in the union of Hollingbourn, hundred of Maidstone, lathe of Aylesford, W. division of Kent, 2¾ miles (N. E.) from Maidstone; containing 318 inhabitants. It comprises 1576 acres, of which 512 are in wood. Lime is burnt here for manure, and carried principally into the Weald. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the patronage of the Archbishop of Canterbury, under whom the rectorial tithes, commuted for £158, are held on lease by N. Baldwin, Esq. The vicarial tithes have been commuted for £190: the vicarage-house was built in 1831; the glebe consists of 10 acres. There are also about 25 acres of glebe belonging to the archbishop.