DEARHAM, a parish, in the union of Cockermouth, Allerdale ward below Derwent, W. division of Cumberland; comprising the townships of Dearham, and Ellenborough with Ewanrigg, and containing 1803 inhabitants, of whom 1037 are in the township of Dearham, 6¼ miles (N. W.) from Cockermouth. There are extensive collieries, and a manufactory for earthenware, in the parish; a considerable quantity of the coal is shipped at Maryport adjoining. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £4. 13. 4.; net income, £85; patron, John Christian, Esq.; impropriators, the Earl of Lonsdale, and J. Christian and H. Senhouse, Esqrs. The vicarial tithes were commuted for land in 1825. The church, originally of Norman architecture, was much modernised by repairs in 1814; it has an ancient and curiously carved font, and in the churchyard is a sculptured cross. Near Unerigg Hall is the site of an old castle.