Dean, West (St. Mary)
DEAN, WEST (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Stockbridge, hundred of Alderbury, Salisbury and Amesbury, and S. divisions of Wilts, 7 miles (E. by S.) from Salisbury; containing, with the chapelry of East Grimstead, 426 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £19. 4. 4½.; patron, the Rev. H. Glossop. The church contains a curious monument, with copper doors, dated 1669, to the Rt. Hon. Robert Pierpoint, who died during the amputation of his leg; his effigy in marble represents him under this operation, surrounded with figures of angels. There is also a monument, dated 1685, to Sir John Evelyn (relative of the author of Sylva), his wife, and eleven children, who, with the exception of one only, were born blind. There is a chapel of ease at East Grimstead. Part of a Roman tessellated pavement, of which some fragments retain their original position, was found in the village in 1741.