Dean, West (St. Andrew)
DEAN, WEST (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Westbourne, hundred of Westbourne and Singleton, rape of Chichester, W. division of Sussex, 5 miles (N.) from Chichester; containing, with the tything of Chilgrove, 657 inhabitants. The parish is on the road from London to Chichester by way of Midhurst, and is watered by the river Lavant: it comprises 4600 acres, of which about 900 are down land; the surface is pleasingly diversified with hill and dale, and the soil, abounding with chalk, is fertile. West Dean House, erected in 1804 by Lord James Selsey, is a spacious and handsome mansion. A cottage-allotment society has been for some time established. The living is a discharged vicarage, with the rectory of Singleton and chapelry of Benderton annexed, valued in the king's books at £6. 12.; net income, £262; patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Chichester (who are also impropriators) for two turns, and the Duke of Richmond for one turn. The church is an ancient cruciform structure, in the early English style, with a square embattled tower; the south transept was rebuilt in 1810, by Lord James Selsey, and appropriated to the use of his family. Several small Roman sepulchral urns have been found under the downs, above Chilgrove, at which place was formerly a chapel.