Dean (All Saints)
DEAN (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Basingstoke, hundred of Overton, Kingsclere and N. divisions of the county of Southampton, 5½ miles (W. by S.) from Basingstoke; containing 164 inhabitants. This parish formerly included that of Ashe, which was separated about the middle of the seventeenth century. The present parish comprises 1557 acres by admeasurement: the soil is a strong clayey loam, on chalk; the surface is pleasingly undulated. The South Western railway, and the London and Exeter road, pass through the parish. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £10. 8. 11½., and in the gift of William Beach, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £308, and the glebe contains 56 acres, with a glebehouse. The church was rebuilt in the year 1830, at the expense of W. Bramston, Esq., at a cost of about £7000, and is a handsome edifice in the later English style of architecture.