Dawley Magna (St. Leonard)
DAWLEY MAGNA (St. Leonard), a parish, in the union of Madeley, Wellington division of the hundred of South Bradford, N. division of Salop, 4 miles (W. by S.) from Shiffnall; containing, with the ecclesiastical parish of Little Dawley and the township of Malin's - Lee, 8641 inhabitants. This parish, which comprises by admeasurement upwards of 3000 acres, is situated in an extensive mining and manufacturing district, and the inhabitants are chiefly employed in mines of iron and coal; lime is obtained in abundance for manure, and there are some tile-works. In connexion with these several works are numerous tramroads, affording every facility for the transport of produce; and a canal passes through the district, connecting it with the Severn in one direction, and with Shrewsbury and Liverpool in others. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £160; patrons and impropriators, the Devisees of Revell Phillips, Esq. The church is supported by immense buttresses, which are rendered necessary by the mining operations in the vicinity. A chapel, now a district church, was built in the township of Malin's-Lee, in 1805; and a church at Little Dawley in 1845. There are places of worship for dissenters.