Dawdon, or Dawden
DAWDON, or Dawden, a township, in the parish of Dalton-le-Dale, union of Easington, N. division of Easington ward and of the county of Durham, 6½ miles (S. S. E.) from Sunderland; containing 2017 inhabitants. There was once a castle or peel here, which in the first ages after the Conquest was the seat of the family of Escolland, who, it seems, afterwards assumed the name of Dalden, by which term this place was formerly designated, It was also for two centuries a favourite seat of the family of Bowes. A domestic chapel was attached to the structure, as Sir Jordan de Dalden, in 1325, obtained a licence to establish an oratory within his manor-house, on condition that no injury should arise to the parochial church of Dalton. The township comprises about 830 acres of land. A new harbour has been constructed here, which has attracted a great population: the number of inhabitants in 1821 was only 35.See Seaham-Harbour.