Datchet (St. Mary)
DATCHET (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Eton, hundred of Stoke, county of Buckingham, 2 miles (E. S. E.) from Eton; containing 922 inhabitants. The parish is separated from that of Windsor by the river Thames, over which is a handsome bridge, and comprises about 1100 acres; the soil is a loam of great fertility. The surface is generally flat, but the surrounding scenery is diversified, and abounds with features of interest; there are several elegant residences, and the village is pleasing. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £11; net income, £125; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Canons of Windsor. There is a place of worship for Particular Baptists. Two charity schools are supported; and a fund of £39 per annum, the proceeds of bequests at different times, is distributed among the poor. Robert Barker, in 1644, left property called the Bridge Estate, now producing £95 per annum, for the erection and maintenance of a bridge across the Hollow-way.