Dasset, Avon (St. Matthew)
DASSET, AVON (St. Matthew), a parish, in the union of Banbury, Burton-Dasset division of the hundred of Kington, S. division of the county of Warwick, 5 miles (E. by S.) from Kington; containing 287 inhabitants. This parish was granted by Edward VI. to Sir Ralph Sadler, master of his great wardrobe; it was subsequently purchased by the Woodwards, of Butler's-Marston, and passed from them to the family of Green, from whom, with the advowson, it came in 1814 to the Rev. Robert Green Jeston, nephew of Robert Green, Esq., and a descendant of the family of Jestyn, of Glamorganshire. The road from Warwick to Banbury runs through the parish, which comprises about 1600 acres; the Oxford canal passes within two miles. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £13. 18. 9.; patron and incumbent, the Rev. R. G. Jeston: the income is derived from a glebe of 280 acres, valued at about £460 per annum, and there is an ancient glebe-house, lately put into repair. The church is neatly pewed, and contains in the chancel a recumbent effigy, in memory, as is supposed, of Sir Ralph Sadler. There is a small endowed school. Near here are intrenchments which were thrown up at the time of the battle of Edge-Hill.