Darrington (St. Luke and All Saints)
DARRINGTON (St. Luke And All Saints), a parish, in the union of Preston (under Gilbert's act), Upper division of the wapentake of Osgoldcross, W. riding of York, 3 miles (S. E. by E.) from Pontefract; containing, with the township of Stapleton, 668 inhabitants, of whom 530 are in the township of Darrington. The parish comprises by measurement 4804 acres, of which 3039 are in Darrington township, and are all arable, with the exception of 300 acres of pasture, and 68 of woodland: the village is situated in a pleasant vale, on the road between Doncaster and Ferry-Bridge. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £16. 11. 3., and in the patronage of the Archbishop of York, with a net income of £475: the tithes for the township of Darrington were commuted for land, under an inclosure act, in 1812; and those for Stapleton and the out-lands have been commuted for a rent-charge under the recent act. The church, a handsome edifice in the early English style, was thoroughly repaired in 1840, at a cost exceeding £700, and an excellent parsonage-house has been built. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.