Darley (St. Helen)
DARLEY (St. Helen), a parish, in the union of Bakewell, partly in the hundred of Wirksworth, but chiefly in that of High Peak, N. division of the county of Derby, 3 miles (N. W.) from Matlock; containing, with the township of Wensley with Snitterton, 1929 inhabitants, of whom 1325 are in the hamlet of Darley-Dale. The parish comprises a considerable tract of moorland and pasture. Fairs for cattle and sheep are held on the moors on May 13th and October 27th. The living is a rectory, comprising the mediety of North Darley, valued in the king's books at £9. 13. 1½., and the discharged mediety of South Darley, valued at £9. 13. 0½., which were united in 1774; net income, £434; patron, the Bishop of Lichfield. The tithes of Darley with Little Rowsley have been commuted for £253, and the glebe consists of 126 acres. The church is partly of Norman architecture. At Cross-Green is a church dedicated to St. Mary, to which is attached a chapelry district called South Darley, and comprising the township of Wensley and Snitterton: the living is in the Rector's gift. There is a school with a small endowment; at Darley-Dale is a national school, with an endowment of £16. 15. per annum.