Darfield (All Saints)
DARFIELD (All Saints), a parish, partly in the wapentake of Staincross, and partly in the N. division of that of Strafforth and Tickhill, W. riding of York; comprising the chapelry of Worsbrough, and the townships of Ardsley, Billingley, Darfield, Great and Little Houghton, and Wombwell; and containing 7519 inhabitants, of whom 648 are in the township of Darfield, 5¼ miles (E. by S.) from Barnsley. This parish, which comprises by computation 11,860 acres, is mainly situated on the river Dearne, and on the road from Barnsley to Doncaster. At Worsbrough are establishments for smelting iron-ore, and some foundries for castings of various kinds, also a glass manufactory; and on the banks of the Dearne and the Dove, which both intersect the parish, are large corn-mills. The linen manufacture is carried on to some extent, and handloom weaving affords employment to several of the inhabitants. The celebrated quarry called the Oaks, and the quarry at Darfield, produce stone of excellent quality for building, and likewise a stone of which much is made into grindstones for the Sheffield manufacturers of cutlery. Facility of conveyance is afforded by the Dearne and Dove canal and the Midland railway, on which last is a station. The village is well built, and situated on a lofty eminence between the Dearne and one of its tributary streams. The living comprises moieties; the first a clerical rectory, valued in the king's books at £53. 1. 8., and in the patronage of the Rev. H. Bowen Cooke; and the second a discharged vicarage, valued at £14. 11. 7., and in the patronage of Trinity College, Cambridge, the impropriators. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £1299. 17. 5., and the rectorial for £1291. 9. 5.; the impropriate glebe contains 27½ acres, and the rectorial 55½, and there are also 45 acres of glebe attached to the vicarage. The rector and vicar officiate alternately: the income of the latter is £200. The church, situated on an eminence, is an ancient structure in the early and decorated English styles, with a square embattled tower, and contains many elegant details and numerous monuments. A chapel at Houghton is licensed by the archbishop, and divine service is regularly performed there by the rector and vicar alternately. The chapel of ease at Wombwell has been considerably enlarged; the chapel at Worsbrough has been rebuilt, and a new church, parsonage-house, and schoolroom have been erected at Ardsley. There are places of worship for dissenters.See the articles on Worsbrough, Ardsley, &c.