Darenth (St. Margaret)
DARENTH (St. Margaret), a parish, in the union of Dartford, hundred of Axton, Dartford, and Wilmington, lathe of Sutton-at-Hone, W. division of Kent, 2 miles (S. E. by S.) from Dartford; containing, with part of the hamlet of South Darenth, 698 inhabitants. The parish derives its name from the river Darent, on which it is situated. It comprises 2188 acres, of which about 350 are woodland, and 57 common or waste; the soil has mostly a substratum of chalk, but in some parts is of a gravelly quality. The Darent abounds with trout, and in its course through the parish contributes variety to the scenery, which embraces many romantic features. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £9. 18. 11½.; net income, £339; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Rochester. The church is principally in the early English style, and possesses several interesting specimens of the period of its erection, particularly the font, which has attracted much attention. There are vestiges of various tumuli, or barrows; also some remains of the monastery of St. Margaret, founded by the Prior of Rochester, to whom the manor was given by Archbishop Hubert, in 1195.