Dalton, or Dalton-Travers
DALTON, or Dalton-Travers, a township, in the parish of Kirkby-Ravensworth, union of Richmond, wapentake of Gilling-West, N. riding of York, 3½ miles (S. S. E.) from Greta-Bridge; containing 283 inhabitants. It comprises about 2450 acres of land, of which a part is fertile and well wooded, and part high moorland, picturesquely broken into hill and dale. A chapel of ease was erected in 1839, by subscription, aided by a grant from the Ripon Diocesan Society. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. An annuity of £36 is paid by the wardens of Kirkby-Ravensworth hospital for the education of 36 children, and the master teaches three others for £3 per annum, bequeathed for that purpose by Thomas Buckton: a school-house has been built. Within the township is a place called Castle-Steads, where are the remains of a castra æstiva, on a slip of land above the conflux of two rivulets, near which passes the Roman Watling-street.