DALTON, a township, in the chapelry of Up Holland, parish and union of Wigan, hundred of West Derby, S. division of the county of Lancaster; containing 483 inhabitants. Dalton was held by a thane, named Uctred, at the Domesday survey; but became the property of the lords of Manchester. In the reign of Edward III. the manor, or part of it, was held by Sir Robert de Holland, and it afterwards passed to the family of Legh. The township comprises 996 acres, whereof 500 are arable, 446 pasture, and 50 woodland. Ashurst Hall, the principal mansion, existed in 1649, and probably at an earlier period; and is a large castellated building, but now used as a farmhouse. The tithes have been commuted for £275. 15. payable to an impropriator, and £88. 15. to the rector. There is a national school. In the time of the French revolutionary war, a beacon was erected on the high hill of Ashurst, to proclaim invasion in this part, should the French attempt it; the building is of strong masonry, with the entire absence of inflammable materials.