Dalby-On-The-Wolds, or Old Dalby (St. John the Baptist)
DALBY-ON-THE-WOLDS, or Old Dalby (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Melton-Mowbray, hundred of East Goscote, N. division of the county of Leicester, 6½ miles (N. W. by W.) from Melton-Mowbray; containing 410 inhabitants. A commandery of Knights Hospitallers was founded here, it is supposed by Robert Bossu, Earl of Leicester, in the reign of Henry II.; of which, at the Dissolution, the revenue was valued at £91. 2. 8. The parish comprises by computation 4000 acres; the village is supplied with water conveyed by pipes from springs at the distance of a mile and a half. The living is a donative; net income, £40; patron, the Rev. William Sawyer. A church, in which 300 of the sittings are free, was built at the expense of the patron, and opened for divine service in February 1836. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. Here is a chalybeate spring.