Daglingworth (Holy Rood)
DAGLINGWORTH (Holy Rood), a parish, in the union of Cirencester, hundred of Crowthorne and Minety, E. division of the county of Gloucester, 3 miles (N. W.) from Cirencester; containing 302 inhabitants. This place was not a distinct parish at the time of the Conquest, but a waste in the manor of Stratton: the earliest mention of its present name occurs in a record of the thirteenth century. It comprises by computation 1811 acres, of which about 1157 are arable, 310 meadow land, and 342 wood; the soil is in general light, and there are quarries of stone for building. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £8. 6. 3., and in the patronage of the Crown: the tithes have been commuted for £261, and the glebe comprises 64½ acres, with a glebe-house. The church was built by the nuns of Godstow, in the county of Oxford, to whom the place was given in 1499. The Roman Ermin-street passes through the parish, and a tessellated pavement has been discovered.