DACRE, a township, in the parish of Ripon, union of Pateley-Bridge, Lower division of the wapentake of Claro, W. riding of York, 4 miles (S. E.) from Pateley-Bridge; containing 695 inhabitants. The township is situated on the south-western side of Nidderdale, and comprises a considerable tract, of which a large portion is open moor; the surface is in some parts rocky, and diversified by hill and valley, and the scenery is generally bold. There are coal-mines, and several quarries of building-stone; also a flax-mill. The township forms, with Bewerley, an ecclesiastical district. The church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, was erected in 1837, at an expense of £700, raised by subscription, aided by a grant of £150 from the Incorporated Society; it is in the early English style, with a tower surmounted by a graceful spire, and forms a pleasing object in the scenery of the valley. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Ripon; net income, £40, with a good glebe-house. There is a place of worship for Independents. A school was built in 1695, by William Hardcastle, who endowed it with £100; and in 1778, William Mountain bequeathed £100. In 1774, Edward Yates left an estate now producing £35 per annum, for the instruction of children at Padside and Braythwaite.