CWMCARVAN, a parish, in the division of Trellick, hundred of Raglan, union and county of Monmouth, 5 miles (S. S. W.) from Monmouth; containing 315 inhabitants. The parish is in the eastern part of the county, and contains 2908 acres, of which 939 are arable, 1498 pasture and meadow, and 394 woodland, the remainder consisting of roads and waste. The surface exhibits considerable varieties of elevation, some parts being boldly undulated, and others tolerably level; and from Cwmcarvan Hill the views are extensive and pleasing. A battle was fought here between Henry V. and Owen Glyndwr, the latter of whom was defeated. The living is annexed to the rectory of Mitchel-Troy: a rent-charge of £193 has been awarded as a commutation for the tithes, of which sum £20 are payable to the Bishop of Llandaff; and there is a glebe of 10 acres of land belonging to the rector. The church is an ancient structure, containing a pulpit which is elaborately carved.