Cuxton (St. Michael)
CUXTON (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of North Aylesford, hundred of Shamwell, lathe of Aylesford, W. division of Kent, 3 miles (W. S. W.) from Rochester; containing 376 inhabitants. This parish comprises 1685 acres, of which 24 are common or waste, and 382 in wood: the river Medway, which has a wharf, passes within a quarter of a mile. The chalk-pits in the neighbourhood supply material for lime, and bricks are made to a limited extent. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £14. 15. 5., and in the gift of the Bishop of Rochester: the tithes payable to the incumbent have been commuted for £380. 16., with a glebe of 28½ acres; a rentcharge of £32. 1. is paid to an impropriator, and one of £43. 5. to the Dean and Chapter of the Cathedral of Rochester.