Cundall (St. Mary and All Saints)
CUNDALL (St. Mary and All Saints), a parish, comprising the townships of Cundall with Leckby, and Norton-le-Clay, in the wapentake of Hallikeld, and the township of Fawdington in that of Birdforth, N. riding of York; and containing 387 inhabitants, of whom 188 are in Cundall with Leckby, 5 miles (N. N. E.) from Boroughbridge. The parish is on the banks of the river Swale, and comprises by computation 3480 acres, of which about 2120 are in Cundall with Leckby: the soil is gravelly; the scenery is pleasingly diversified with wood and water. The hamlet of Cundall is on the western side of the river, and about 5 miles distant from the Sessay station of the York and Newcastle railway. The hamlet of Leckby is about a mile north from Cundall. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £3. 6. 8., and in the patronage of the Bishop of Ripon, with a net income recently augmented to £96: the church is an old and dilapidated building, fast falling into ruins. A small chapel of ease was erected in 1839, at Norton-le-Clay.