CUMBERWORTH, a chapelry, partly in the parish of High Hoyland, and partly in that of Silkstone, wapentake of Staincross, W. riding of York, 8 miles (W.) from Barnsley; containing 1867 inhabitants. This chapelry, which is divided into Upper and Lower, comprises 2360 acres, principally the property of T. Wentworth Beaumont, Esq.: the population is chiefly agricultural, but partly employed in the woollen and fancy manufactures. The villages of Upper and Lower Cumberworth are both of considerable antiquity, and in the former is the chapel of St. Nicholas, an ancient building situated on a high hill. The living is a donative, in the patronage of Mr. Beaumont. The tithes, which were commuted for 40 acres of land in 1800, at the inclosure of the commons, originally belonged to the ancestors of the patron, the Wentworths of Bretton Park, who were lords of the manor, and obtained a grant of the donative in consideration of their endowing the living with the tithes of the township. They afterwards augmented the benefice by inclosing 34 acres of land from the waste.