Culford (St. Mary)
CULFORD (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Thingoe, hundred of Blackbourn, W. division of Suffolk, 4¾ miles (N. N. W.) from Bury St. Edmunds; containing 352 inhabitants. The parish is bounded on the south by the river Lark, which is navigable for small craft from Lynn to Bury; and comprises 2209 acres, whereof 106 are common or waste. The surface is undulated, and the scenery diversified; the soil is generally light and sandy, but clay is found in some parts, and also a strong earth well adapted for making white bricks. Culford Hall, the seat of R. B. De Beauvoir, Esq., lord of the manor, is an elegant mansion, situated in a spacious park. The living is a discharged rectory, consolidated with the livings of Timworth and Ingham, valued in the king's books at £8. Lord Cornwallis, who for his brilliant achievements as commanderin-chief in India, was created a marquess in 1792, and to whom parliament voted a monument in St. Paul's Cathedral, was born here.