Culbone, or Kilner (St. Culbone)
CULBONE, or Kilner (St. Culbone), a parish, in the union of Williton, hundred of Carhampton, W. division of Somerset, 4 miles (W. by N.) from Porlock; containing 34 inhabitants. This parish, which is bounded on the north by the Bristol Channel, and exhibits the most romantic scenery, comprises 1502 acres, whereof 760 are common or waste. The village, from the steepness of the surrounding hills, was until within the last few years scarcely approachable, except on foot. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £3. 18. 11½., and in the gift of the Earl of Lovelace: the tithes have been commuted for £35, and the glebe comprises 32 acres, with a glebe-house.