CUERDLEY, a township, in the parish of Prescot, union of Warrington, hundred of West Derby, S. division of the county of Lancaster, 4½ miles (W. by S.) from Warrington; containing 221 inhabitants. This place was early in the possession of the barons of Manchester, from whom it appears to have reverted to the crown. The lordship was sold by Edward VI. to Richard Brooke, of Norton, in the county of Chester; ancestor of Sir Richard Brooke, Bart., the present chief owner of the soil. The township lies on the north side of the river Mersey, and south of the road from Warrington to Liverpool; and comprises 1425 acres of land. Marks of an encampment were formerly visible on Cuerdley marsh, near the edge of the Mersey. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £128, payable to King's College, Cambridge, and the vicarial for £81. 11.