CUERDALE, a township, in the parish, and Lower division of the hundred, of Blackburn, union of Preston, N. division of the county of Lancaster, 3¾ miles (E.) from Preston; containing 106 inhabitants. This place belonged to a family of the same name from the earliest times. About the reign of Richard II. it passed by marriage to the Molyneuxs, and since 1582 it has been the property of the Asshetons, of Downham, who formerly resided at Cuerdale Hall, a fine building of red brick with stone dressings, erected in a beautiful situation by William Assheton, in 1700. The township lies on the river Ribble, and comprises 660 acres of richly cultivated land, the property of William Assheton, Esq. The road from Preston to Samlesbury passes through. A few years ago, in digging earth here, a large mass of silver, consisting of ingots or bars of various sizes, was found by the workmen, together with silver armlets, tolerably entire, and several antique ornaments of different kinds, cut into pieces, the whole amounting to upwards of 1000 ounces; also about 6000 coins of various descriptions, but chiefly Anglo-Saxon pennies. This treasure had been deposited, it is supposed, about the year 910, in a leaden chest, which was so decomposed that only small portions of it could be secured.