CUDWORTH, a township, in the parish of Royston, wapentake of Staincross, W. riding of York, 4 miles (N. E. by E.) from Barnsley; containing 552 inhabitants. Mention of this place first occurs in the chartularies of Nostal and Bretton, both which monastic establishments possessed lands here; and among the families that have been connected with the spot as landed proprietors, occur those of Stapleton and Jobson, which were of considerable note. Lands, too, here and in some neighbouring manors, were included in the endowment of the Savoy Hospital, founded by Henry VII. The township comprises by computation 1680 acres of land, and contains the villages of Upper and Lower Cudworth. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.