Cruwys-Morchard (Holy Cross)
CRUWYS-MORCHARD (Holy Cross), a parish, in the union of Tiverton, hundred of Witheridge, Cullompton and N. divisions of Devon, 5¼ miles (W.) from Tiverton; containing 670 inhabitants. This place takes its name from the ancient family of Cruwys, whose seat, Morchard House, near the church, was originally built in 1199, and is now inhabited by their descendant, the Rev. G. S. Cruwys. The parish is situated on the new road from Tiverton to Barnstaple, and comprises by computation nearly 6000 acres. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £21. 11. 8.; patron and incumbent, the Rev. G. S. Cruwys, whose tithes have been commuted for £524, and whose glebe comprises 150 acres, with a glebe-house. The church was in 1689 struck by lightning, which rent the steeple and melted the bells; it contains a finely-carved oak screen, and some ancient monuments to the Anerays, and one to the memory of the Rev. Edmund Granger. In the churchyard is the burial-ground of the Cruwys family, the area of which is bounded by fir-trees, marking out the site of the old family chapel, destroyed by Cromwell's soldiers: large pieces of alabaster, being fragments of broken monuments, have been dug up on the spot.