Crundale (St. Mary)
CRUNDALE (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of East Ashford, hundred of Wye, lathe of Shepway, E. division of Kent, 9 miles (S. W. by S.) from Canterbury; containing 278 inhabitants. It is partly bounded by the river Stour on the west, and comprises 1572a. 36p., of which about 980 acres are arable, 180 pasture, 250 wood, and 150 rough down. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £11. 10. 10., and in the gift of Sir Edmund Filmer, Bart.: the incumbent's tithes have been commuted for £371. 9. 6., and a rentcharge of £23. 10. is paid to an impropriator; the glebe consists of about 18 acres, with a glebe-house. At Crundale Green, considerable remains of a Roman sepulchre were discovered in 1703, with several skeletons, urns, and other vessels, both of earthenware and glass.