Croydon (All Saints)
CROYDON (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Caxton and Arrington, hundred of Armingford, county of Cambridge, 6 miles (S. by E.) from Caxton; including the ancient parish of Clapton, and containing 441 inhabitants. It is situated on the road from Royston to Huntingdon, and comprises by measurement 2711 acres. The living is a discharged vicarage, endowed with part of the rectorial tithes, with the rectory of Clapton consolidated, and valued in the king's books at £7. 9. 7.; patron and impropriator of the remainder of the rectorial tithes, J. F. Gape, Esq. The rectory of Clapton is valued in the king's books at £4. 9. 7. The incumbent's tithes have been commuted for £531, and there is a glebe-house, with 10 acres of land. Some remains are visible of a mansion of the Downing family, many members of which were buried in a vault under the church. Sir George Downing, Bart., of Gamlingay, was the founder of Downing College, Cambridge, for which he left nearly 1800 acres of land in this parish.