Croxton-Keyrial (St. John)
CROXTON-KEYRIAL (St. John), a parish, in the union of Grantham, hundred of Framland, N. division of the county of Leicester, 7 miles (S. W.) from Grantham; containing 650 inhabitants. It is the property of the dukes of Rutland, of whose ancient mansion there are some remains, situated in a park in which races are celebrated at Easter. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £7. 14. 7.; net income, £206; patron and impropriator, the Duke of Rutland: the tithes were commuted for land in 1766. The church is a very handsome structure in the later English style, with a tower rising from the centre. William Smith in 1711 bequeathed land, producing a rent of £11. 8., for which children are taught. W. Rymington left an estate, now worth £120 per annum, to the poor of this and three other parishes; G. Ashburne, a rentcharge of £15 to poor parishioners; and Anna Parnham, £300 for the poor, and £200 for the free school. Croxton Abbey was founded in 1162, by William Porcarius de Linus, for Præmonstratensian canons, whose revenue at the Dissolution was valued at £458. 19. 11.: one of the abbots was physician to King John, whose bowels were interred in the church.