Croxton (St. James)
CROXTON (St. James), a parish, in the union of Caxton and Arrington, hundred of Longstow, county of Cambridge, 3½ miles (W. N. W.) from Caxton; containing 264 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the road from Cambridge to Oxford, and its general appearance is flat; it comprises by computation 2000 acres of land, the soil of which is clayey and cold, but produces good crops of wheat. Croxton Park contains 150 acres of land, with a handsome residence. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £14. 8. 6½.; net income, £185; patron, Samuel Newton, Esq. The tithes were commuted for land in 1811; the glebe comprises 347 acres, including 310 given at the allotment, and there is a glebe-house. The church, which is elegantly fitted up, has been extensively repaired by the patron. Edward Leeds, founder of the celebrated Leeds family, was buried here; he was vice-chancellor of Cambridge university, and master of Clare Hall, about the year 1540.